Is Mentoring right for you?
Even if you understand the benefits of mentoring and it sounds like a great idea, you have to decide whether it’s right for you. To explore your reasons for mentoring and whether you want to take this type of commitment further, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you want to share your knowledge and experience with others?
- Do you enjoy encouraging and motivating others?
- Are you comfortable asking challenging questions?
- Do you want to contribute to other people’s growth and success?
- Are you prepared to invest your time in mentoring on a regular basis?
- How will mentoring contribute toward your own career goals?
- How will mentoring add to your sense of contribution and community?
- What type of person do you ideally want to mentor? Can you describe the professional and personal qualities of this person? Do you want someone from the same profession or the same career path?
- In what areas are you willing to help? Are there any areas that you don’t want to go near?
If you would like to learn more about participating in the ASHNHA Mentors for Quality program as a mentor or mentee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.