Beginning in 2019, hospitals are required to comply with two new laws/rules related to price transparency. ASHNHA has developed a toolkit to provide hospitals and their physician practices with information on the new requirements, recommendations for compliance, and resources to support price transparency. These requirements do not apply to skilled nursing facilities. The toolkit and resources will be updated as new information becomes available.
- ASHNHA Price Transparency Toolkit
- ASHNHA Price transparency principles & checklist
- PARA Price Transparency Tool
CMS Price Transparency Requirement
On Jan. 1, 2019 a new federal rule went into effect that requires hospitals to post their “standard charges” on the hospital’s website in a “machine readable” format. All hospitals operating within the United States are required to establish (and update) and make public a list of their standard charges for all items and services provided by the hospital. The information states ALL hospitals and specifically mentions this includes critical access hospitals and psychiatric hospitals.
- FAQs: Federal price transparency requirements
- Update CMS FAQs 12-6-18 – Requirements for Hospitals to Make Public a List of their Standard Charges via the Internet
Alaska Price Transparency Requirements – SB 105 Disclosure of Health Care Costs – Effective January 1, 2019
The legislation includes requirements for health care facilities and providers to annually compile a list of the 10 health care services most commonly performed from each of the six sections of CPT codes including undiscounted price. This information needs to be posted in the facility, posted on a website and submitted to DHSS. Bill also includes requirements for providing good faith estimates upon request and prohibits municipalities from enacting separate price transparency ordinances.
Resources for consumers on Price Transparency
- Avoiding surprises in your medical bills: a guide for consumers
- HFMA – Understanding healthcare prices: a consumer guide
- Chargemaster – Frequently asked questions
- Cost of Health Care – Factors impacting the cost of care in Alaskawent